I put the wording "Trim Healthy Mama" in the title of this post, but I want to be very clear about something right off the bat! These Air Fryer Pigs in a Blanket are HEAVY S. Still on the plan, but a very heavy S. There are 3 cups of cheese in the dough alone. Yikes! Of course, I'm not saying you should not make these, but THM bloggers are frequently accused of making heavy S recipes seem like deep S recipes.
These Air Fryer Pigs in a Blanket are going to revolutionize your kid's hot dog consumption. The crust is creamy and crisp, and the juicy hot dog zings with splendid flavor from the air fryer. They may take a little bit of energy to make, but you won't regret it for a moment when the flavors decide to burst in your mouth and you are for a brief moment taken back to childhood.
The best part? You do not eat all the yucky ingredients that your childhood pigs in the blanket had! These air fryer pigs in the blanket are certainly not pure food, but they are lightyears ahead of the pigs in the blanket you remember from childhood.
Alright, enough rambling. Let's get to the good stuff!
This page may contain affiliate links. To view my full affiliate link disclosure, click here.
Why Air Fry Pigs in a Blanket?
I am obsessed with my air fryer. Why did I wait so long to acquire one! They make everything taste better! AND everything cooks so much faster. So why use an air fryer to make pigs in a blanket? Two reasons!
- The hot dogs are just so much more juicy than if you would cook them in the oven.
- It is FAST! These are done in just about 7-minutes. After rolling all that dough, it's nice to get your food as fast as possible!
Pigs in a Blanket Low Carb Dough
This dough is magical! Yes, I said magical. Why was I intimidated to try it for so long? For whatever reason, whenever I see a recipe with melted cheese for the dough, I get worried the recipe is going to be complicated! Never fear! This recipe is super simple to create. The dough comes together with the fastest, and there is something abundantly satisfying about mixing it and watching it suddenly form a thick dough.
Ingredients for the Air Fryer Pigs in a Blanket
You can use hot dogs of your choice for this recipe. I like to use Hebrews National Hot dogs, but Applegate Natural Hot Dogs will work as well.
2 packages of natural hot dogs (I like Hebrews Hotdogs)
3 cups of shredded cheese
5 tbsp of cream cheese
1 cup THM Baking Blend of my Low Carb Baking Mix
½ cup almond flour
¼ tsp mineral salt
Instructions for the Air Fryer Pigs in a Blanket
The longest part of this recipe (as I've alluded to) is wrapping those confounded hot dogs. But trust me, once you bite into one of these, it will be worth it! Use small pieces of dough! You can even refrigerate the dough to help it set a bit more. These are going to be very hot once they come out of the air fryer so make sure you let them sit for a while before eating. Then ENJOY to the fullest.
A serving size is about one hot dog, which should be roughly 6-7 bite-sized pieces.
- 2 packages of natural hot dogs (I like Hebrews Hotdogs)
- 3 cups of shredded cheese
- 5 tbsp of cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup THM Baking Blend of my Low Carb Baking Mix
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ tsp mineral salt
- Melt the cheese in a microwave safe dish
- Meanwhile, place the remaining ingredients (minus the hot dogs) in a blender or food processor
- Once the cheese is completely melted add the cheese to the blender/food processor
- Blend until mixture forms a dough. Remove from blender.
- Cut hot dogs into 1-inch bite-size pieces.
- Take a small portion of dough and roll it around the hot dog.
- Once all the hot dogs are rolled you can place them into the air fryer and cook at 400 degrees for 7 minutes.
- Remove and let sit for 5 minutes before eating.
The dough should be thin around the hot dog. You will not have enough dough for two packages if you make it too thick.
A serving size is one hot dog, which is roughly 6-7 pieces of pigs in a blanket.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 394Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 890mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 16g
A serving size is roughly one hot dog. A hot dog can be chopped into 6 pieces, which means a serving size is around 6-7 pieces pigs in ablanket.