There is something about chocolate chip cookies that is classic and timeless. Add in some sourdough goodness and you've got a showstopper! These moist and chewy sourdough einkorn chocolate chip cookies will be a crowd-pleaser and a kid favorite. Mix them up and enjoy today!
This page may contain affiliate links. To view my full affiliate link disclosure, click here.
Honestly, this recipe has been on my docket of recipes to create for a very long time. Truthfully, it's been over a year. I would see the recipe on my yearly planner and move it to the next month time and time again. Creating einkorn chocolate chip cookies seemed like too daunting of a task!
Get it wrong and you will have a recipe that is worthy of throwing out. Get it right and you will have a recipe that you want to use time and time again.
Want to guess which this one is?
I'll give you a hint. My husband who is a tough seller on sugar-free and sourdough snuck multiple cookies this morning with this morning's coffee. Answer? This is a 100% winner recipe that we will be making time and time again.
These are great for Christmas, holidays, get-togethers, or just a classic cookie to make with kids in the kitchen.
If you make these be sure to tag me on Instagram so I can see your wonderful creation!
- In the case of baking it is better to use unsalted versus salted because you can then control the amount of salt used.
- Stevia sweetened brown sugar
- If you are making this recipe THM-friendly you can either make your own brown sugar or use a stevia-sweetened store-bought option like Swerve
- Gentle Sweet
- I typically use Gentle Sweet in all my sugar-free recipes. Gentle Sweet is a THM product and uses Xylitol, Erythritol & Stevia ground into a blend. If you would like to learn more about THM's reaction to the harm of Erythritol, click here.
- Eggs act as a binder.
- Sourdough starter or discard
- If you would like to learn more about sourdough starters, you can learn more here. In this recipe, you can use a starter or discard.
- Vanilla extract
- I tend to like a lot of vanilla in my cookies. It adds a warm flavor. Learn how to make your own here.
- Einkorn all-purpose flour
- Einkorn is an ancient grain that is the THM plan approved and I love it because of all the benefits it has. The grain has never been hybridized like other grains. It also tends to be easier on blood sugar when consumed. I like to get my einkorn in bulk sizes.
- Using just a little salt will bring out the flavor in these cookies!
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Both baking powder and soda are used to give the cookies rise.
- Stevia-sweetened chocolate chips
- Any sugar-free chocolate chips usually will do. I prefer Lily's chocolate chips because they have remained tried and true.
See the recipe card for quantities.
The night before or at least 7 hours before you wish to bake the cookies mix together your sourdough starter (or discard), Einkorn all-purpose flour, and butter.
Let ferment for at least 7 hours. This amount of time will break down the phytic acid which will reap the most health benefits. This also will make it a Trim Healthy Mama-approved cookie.
After the ferment is done add the remaining ingredients except for the chocolate chips into a stand mixer and mix with a paddle attachment.
Gentle fold-in chocolate chips. For best results refrigerate the dough for one hour before baking.
Using an ice cream scoop, spoon dough evenly on a baking sheet.
Place into oven at 350 Fahrenheit for 10 minutes or until the edges start browning.
Hint: For best results use a silicon baking mat under your cookies. I find that this makes cleanup a breeze and prevents the cookies from burning.
- Baking sheets
- Silicon baking mat
- Cookies scoop
- Stand Mixer
- Mixing Spoons and cups
You can find all my favorites at my Amazon storefront or my Like to Know Shop. Happy baking friends!
Because of the egg, my recommendation is that you store these in your refrigerator. However, I usually leave ours on the countertop for a couple of days. They typically are gone by the time I go to put them in the refrigerator!
Freezing Cookie Dough
I love this way of freezing cookies! Follow the instructions until right before you would place the cookies in the oven. This means that they are on the baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the freezer to flash-freeze the cookie dough. After the individual pieces are completely frozen, take them off and place them in a freezer bag.
Whenever you need to bake up a few (or a full batch) take them out and bake them as normal. Cookie dough will stay good in the freezer for up to three months.
Freezing Baked Cookies
You can also freeze completely cooked cookies. In this scenario, you need to have your cookies completely cooled. Layer the cookies with parchment paper in between and put them in a freezer-safe container.
Frozen cookies will stay good for up to three months in a freezer.
Make sure to watch these as they easily burn. I like to start at 10 minutes and then if they need more time, I only increase the time by one minute until the edges are browned enough.
Should I use a sourdough starter or discard?
Either will work fine. Since this is not bread and you do not need the dough to rise, either will work equally well.
Can you use einkorn flour in place of all-purpose flour?
If you have a chocolate chip cookie recipe in that you want to use einkorn instead of all-purpose flour, you can not use it in a 1-to-1 ratio. Einkorn absorbs liquid differently than all-purpose white flour so you cannot substitute it exactly. You will need to do some experiments to make it work.
Does einkorn flour spike blood sugar?
It's not as simple as if einkorn spikes blood sugar or not. The simple answer is that in comparison to other flours, einkorn tends to spike blood sugar less. Einkorn is non-processed, non-hybridized, and non-GMO. It has a low glycemic load, which means it won't spike your blood sugar as much as other grain flour. However, there are a lot of contributors to spiking your blood sugar, so please do your own research and consult a physician when monitoring your blood sugar.
What is so special about einkorn flour?
Besides that it is an excellent-tasting flour, it has many health benefits. As an ancient grain, it is non-processed, non-hybridized, and non-GMO. Not many other grains can claim that much! It is higher in protein and lower in carbohydrates than other whole wheat grains.
What is the secret to making soft cookies?
It took me many years to figure this out and once I figured it out, I was truly a bit embarrassed I didn't know it sooner. The secret or key to creating soft cookies is baking time. If you already have a good recipe, the key is to bake them in less time. In the case of these cookies around 10 minutes will cook them, but also give them a soft and gooey texture.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
- Kombucha Scoby Candy
- Tips for Making Sugar-Free Hot Cocoa Bomb Recipe
- Sourdough Homemade Resurrection Rolls
- Healthy Cranberry Salad (Sugar-Free)
Sourdough Einkorn Chocolate Chip Cookies
These moist and chewy sourdough einkorn chocolate chip cookies will be a crowd-pleaser and a kid favorite. Mix them up and enjoy today!
- 2 sticks of butter
- ½ cup stevia sweetened brown sugar (I use swerve)
- 1 cup Gentle Sweet (or to taste)
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup sourdough starter
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups einkorn all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups stevia sweetened chocolate chips
- The night before or at least 7 hours before you wish to bake the cookies mix together your sourdough starter (or discard), Einkorn all-purpose flour, and butter.
- Let ferment for at least 7 hours. This amount of time will break down the phytic acid which will reap the most health benefits. This also will make it a Trim Healthy Mama-approved cookie.
- After the ferment is done add the remaining ingredients except for the chocolate chips into a stand mixer and mix with a paddle attachment.
- Gentle fold-in chocolate chips. For best results refrigerate the dough for one hour before baking.
- Using an ice cream scoop, spoon dough evenly on a baking sheet.
- Place into oven at 350 Fahrenheit for 10 minutes or until the edges start browning.
For best results refrigerate the dough for one hour before placing it on a baking sheet.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Jovial Einkorn Baking Flour | 100% Organic Einkorn All Purpose Flour | High Protein | Non-GMO | USDA Certified Organic | Delicious Taste | Product of Italy | 32 oz (2 Pack)
Jovial Einkorn Baking Flour | 100% Organic Einkorn Whole Wheat Flour | 100% Whole Grain | High Protein | Non-GMO | USDA Certified Organic | Delicious Taste | Product of Italy | 32 oz (3 Pack)
Lily's Chocolate Chips
Swerve Ultimate Sugar Replacement Sweetener, Brown Sugar Substitute, Zero Calorie, Keto Friendly, Zero Sugar, Non-Glycemic, Gluten Free, 48oz
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 189mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
Online nutritional calculators are estimates only. Use your best judgement when consuming.
Elizabeth C says
Can I make these with white whole wheat? Should I do anything different to compensate?
Yes, you can follow the same recipe with white whole-wheat flour or sourdough. However, einkorn absorbs less water than modern wheat so you may need to increase the liquid content to compensate.