It is just about the strawberry season! This means the strawberry recipes are about ready to spill out of the internet! This einkorn sourdough strawberry cream cheese cobbler might be a mouthful to say, but it certainly is not complicated and is over the moon delicious!
To quote my husband on this recipe, "Can you make this for me every day?"
It's that good!
This page may contain affiliate links. To view my full affiliate link disclosure, click here.
There is nothing quite like farm fresh-picked strawberries. My kids and I love heading to our local strawberry farm and picking strawberries for hours! We then head home and for the next couple of days, the kitchen is warm with jam making, canning, and preserving!
But there has to be room for some delicious desserts.
This recipe is going to just sing with the seasonal goodness of fresh strawberries! You can use store-bought, but especially when it's strawberry season, why wouldn't you go find some fresh!
Strawberry season is here for such a short amount of time, so enjoy it while it lasts.
Benefits of this Strawberry Cream Cheese Cobbler
- This is a Trim Healthy Mama-friendly recipe, so it means that there is no processed sugar!
- The flour is soured, which gives it a lovely flavor pairing with the strawberries.
- Soured flour is more gentle on blood sugar and is much healthier.
- This is a cream cheese recipe, which means it is higher in calories (even though we don't count calories on THM it can be nice to be aware) but the pairing of cream cheese and strawberries go so well together!
Tips for making the Strawberry Cream Cheese Cobbler
The longer the fermentation the more benefits it has! Although I have never made it to a full 12 hours, that is certainly ideal. I tend to pair this with a breakfast dish so I usually only get to around 8 hours. Because of the kefir, I tend to only allow it to go 12 hours because otherwise the kefir will get quite soured and it ends up changing the taste profile of the dish.
There is not a substantial amount of protein in this dish, so if you do follow the Trim Healthy Mama plan, I recommend eating this with a Trimmy drink or another source of protein.
Ingredients for the Strawberry Cream Cheese Cobbler
¾ cup einkorn flour
¼ cup sourdough starter (discard is fine)
¾ cup plain kefir
½ cup butter
¾ cup Gentle Sweet
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups strawberries halved or quartered
4-ounce package ⅓ fat cream cheese
Tools you may need:
Measuring cups and spoons
Making a Sourdough Cobble
The night before combine einkorn flour, sourdough starter, and kefir. Mix well and cover with a dishcloth. Leave to sour for 8-12 hours. Or overnight.
Add to the einkorn sourdough the Gentle Sweet, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Let it sit and bubble.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place your 10-inch skillet inside with the ½ cup butter to melt and pre-heat.
Dice strawberries and set them aside. Dice cream cheese into cubes and set aside.
Once the skillet is preheated take out and spread the sourdough mixture over the butter. It does not need to be perfect! Just plop it in there!
Layer the diced strawberries and cream cheese on top. Bake for 40 minutes or until the center is solid.
Additional Sourdough Recipes
Did you enjoy this strawberry cream cheese cobbler? Me too! I'm thrilled to be bringing more sourdough recipes to this blog, and what's more? They are all made with the ancient grain einkorn! Here are some more of my fan favorites!
Sourdough Cobbler How-to Video
- ¾ cup einkorn flour
- ¼ cup sourdough starter (discard is fine)
- ¾ cup plain kefir
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup Gentle Sweet
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups strawberries halfed or quarteed
- 4 ounce package ⅓ fat cream cheese
- The night before combine einkorn flour, sourdough starter, and kefir. Mix well and cover with a dishcloth.
- Leave to sour for 8-12 hours. Or overnight.
- Add to the einkorn sourdough the Gentle Sweet, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Let it sit and bubble.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place your 10-inch skillet inside with the ½ cup butter to melt and pre-heat.
- Dice strawberries and set them aside.
- Dice cream cheese into cubes and set aside.
- Once the skillet is preheated take out and spread the sourdough mixture over the butter. It does not need to be perfect! Just plop it in there!
- Layer the diced strawberries and cream cheese on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the center is solid.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 491mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g
Online calculators are estimates only. Please use your best judgement when consuming.